Lake Michigan Shoreline

Lake Michigan Shoreline
original art by Annie Russell

Wednesday, September 30, 2020

Once Upon A Time...

 Yesterday I finished closing down the restaurant for the remainder of the year. We've been closed for business for a couple of weeks but we needed to catch up on a bunch of things here at the house so we concentrated on those chores then yesterday finished up the fall closing. I'm happy to close the door on the Summer of 2020; may it rest in peace.

 We've been busy and productive here at casa de Russell; garage cleaned out, storage shed built, yard cleaned up for the fall, and taxes done. Today Jack returned to work at his place of employment after taking a few days off for the chores listed above and I had time to get back to work on Book 2 of the Ashlynne Barrow series. It was wonderful to dive back into writing and I tackled quite a bit of story line before going out for a walk. 

Kindle Edition Cover of The Changeling: A New Orleans Faerie Tale- available here


 Book 2 being written means, of course  that Book 1 is completed and I couldn't be happier. 2 cases of the special edition Hardbacks are being printed as I type and should be arriving here in a couple of weeks. The finishing touches are being put on the cover and interior front pages (title page, copywrite page, etc.) of the paperback and then that will be proofed, approved and ready for distribution. Its been a loooonnnggg haul and an emotional roller coaster. The learning curve was steeper than I had expected regarding the technical aspects of formatting and cover design and I am forever grateful to my son for taking on the mantel of that work and doing it so beautifully. Emotionally, this story originated from a devastating loss. I began writing as a way to process that episode so, while the story is fantastical  its birth was traumatic. Many of the scarier elements within the story are true-to-my-life and have been adapted to fit the narrative making the entire story and process quite cathartic. And like any good Hero's Journey tale my helpers came along as I needed them and just in the nick of time; M and K to encourage and lovingly critique after I received a devastating report from another author that had me ready to quit before I had even half finished. M. gently continued on in the proof reading while K reminded me that some people act from a place of their own ego and to let that kind of thing go.  The loss of a loved employee from the restaurant brought to me E- not only an amazing employee but a young woman finishing her degree in literature and beginning work as an editor. E generously agreed to take on my book for the final editing with a ridiculously tight schedule for its completion along with the killer long hours at the restaurant and she did both so well I began to question whether a real life Fae had come into my everyday world. The individual sales of the limited edition hardback were higher in volume than I ever could have predicted and I can't wait to hear what my Readers think of the story, of Ashlynne and of course, of Morag. The Kindle edition has been out for a little over a week with over 100 units snapped up already; I'm anxiously awaiting the amazon reviews. If you have a kindle version please, please, please leave an amazon review- they are more important to authors than gold. 

To purchase your kindle edition go HERE  To purchase a signed author hardback or paperback go here

 So, Book 2. More fantasy born from real-life BS. In fact, much of this book is 'ripped from the headlines' of my life but if I told it as non-fiction no one would believe it except for those who lived it with me and most of those people have melted back into the forest from whence they came. The book will be dark - ish with amazing imagery painted for you in glorious words and phrases. There will be more original art as well - just like in Book 1 - and a special edition Hardback for purchase through the website. Oh- and Book 2 is taking place in Charlevoix... I can't wait to take you back into my world..

The rains are continuing outside the window and its already getting dark. The winds are whipping the tree limbs making the fall leaves fly.. its a perfect night to read a Faerie Tale ~ 

Until Next Time-

Be Safe & Wear Your Masks

Annie