Lake Michigan Shoreline

Lake Michigan Shoreline
original art by Annie Russell

Monday, August 10, 2020

Pedal Smarter Not Harder

 


Today is my Friday. By my calendar's count it looks like I might have 4 or 5 more 'Friday's' left in the summer. The hell of July is over and it was lucrative and exhausting and stressful beyond imagination. 7 years ago when I opened the beach as a 'real' restaurant I would have never ever imagined a summer like this one; a year like this one. 

 Into August and the numbers drop off quickly; we are currently 25% below this time last month. That's one of the only things 'normal' about this summer- I wondered how it would go and was ready to find that business was going to just keep going and going and going as people worked remotely and kids went back to school virtually. That seems to not be the case and part of me is happy and part of me is sad- again; one more tiny slice of 'normal' there. The end of the season is always bitter-sweet for me. 

Because I know that this gig has an end-date I tend to get antsy about now and begin planning my next gig; this fall I plan on riding my new bike a lot- I want to ride around Fisherman's Island State Park and take it over to Mackinac Island (if its safe to go). I have a book being released in November- my first novel - and 2 more in the works with the plan to release one in November of 2021 and one in November of 2022 (the Gods willing and the creek don't rise).  There is one more year of Persephone's Folly being a bricks and mortar entity in Charlevoix and I will be back on the floor there through the winter- probably weekends only and by appointment but of course, that is dependent on Covid rulings. I've learned to pivot quickly with business plans. Painting will be done as well- I miss putting a brush to canvas very much. 

There are a million and one projects that we need to finish in this house this winter too; finish installing the bamboo flooring (downstairs is done, upstairs is next), butcherblock counter tops in the kitchen, finish painting and replacing hollow core interior doors with solid wood. With the sale of the building these projects can be completed this year- I am grateful for that. I'm a Taurus- a homebody. It makes me twitchy to have my space partly done and out of sorts... 

 So for now I'm in the betwixt and between mode- beginning to 'slow down' -though this year's slow was the last couple of years busy - and putting plans in place for the fall and winter months. Its an uncomfortable space for me and one I really never get used to...

 Here's to August. Stay Safe and Wear Your Mask~

Annie


No comments: