Lake Michigan Shoreline

Lake Michigan Shoreline
original art by Annie Russell

Wednesday, July 29, 2020

July Gives Way To August In A Northern Town

          Big News- our building sold. We had planned on keeping it indefinitely but the
emotional stress and physical wear of trying to manage and maintain the short term rental, maintenance on the structure, the retail shop and an extremely busy restaurant was just too much ; success at what cost? So we listed and it sold. I will maintain a retail lease on the one side for another year- not exactly my ideal situation but it got the building sold so there it is. The retail side is a sad and not uncommon scenario of 'you should do (fill in this blank)- soooo many people would love it and it would be just what the community needs/wants!' And guess what? Its been a big fat NOPE. Classes have been great but we can't do those this year and Readings are good but I can do those from home so one more season and turn of The Wheel and Persephone's Folly will once again be an on-line only affair. I'm a little sad since this has been a dream for over 20 years but its not that the dream wasn't fulfilled, more like it was simply short-lived. Onward...

  The restaurant has been successful beyond my wildest dreams and I'm so very grateful and yet so very very tired. We normally close for the season around the second week in September but with schools maybe sorta kinda going back and so many people working remotely I honestly have no idea this year. I just keep cooking and doing my thing...

  I could do a whole 15000 more words on Covid and what its shown to be true in our society but I don't have the time or the mental zippiness to put that all together right now-soon, though. Soon.

  While I have been unable to enjoy much as far as summer activities go this summer, I can tell that its all beginning to wind down; not the amount of people, but the season itself. The colors are deepening once again; pinks and bright blues have given way to dark lavenders, golds, and magentas. I was able to gather about a quart of black raspberries from my bushes ahead of the birds and the  colors are amazing. I love the jewel tones of late summer... Soon the leaves will be changing and the next season will arrive. But for now its still summer and I'm still running a mile a minute and its still hot.

Take care and stay safe and wear your masks~

No comments: