Lake Michigan Shoreline

Lake Michigan Shoreline
original art by Annie Russell

Tuesday, May 21, 2019

Beginning Summer 2019

  Last week I went to North Carolina's Outer Banks to spend some time with family. It was a fast trip and for the most part enjoyable except for the undercurrent of sadness that my father didn't make it to this gathering. We had some great family dinners and got to catch up with cousins so that was really nice. My brother and I got to spend our birthday together-something that rarely happens. I'm grateful for the trip.


   We rolled into Northern Michigan Sunday night, fell into bed and yesterday- Monday - officially began my summer schedule though it is only 45 degrees. I met with the city about the cafe opening, went to Persephone's Folly to check in, price and display some new products, gathered toiletries for the apartment and cleaned and set up the front of the cafe. Today my focus is the back and the kitchen- everything needs to be scrubbed down and set up so I can shop for supplies tomorrow and begin prepping for opening day on Friday morning. Talk about hitting the ground running! This will be a summer of crazy-busy like no other and I would be lying if I said I wasn't nervous. Especially starting it off with just me because my husband and usual partner is working doubles at his place.
  One Foot In Front Of The Other --------> Until I Reach September. 

  So today I will clean and scrub and set to rights. Tonight I will print out the menu as a shopping guide. Tomorrow I will shop and begin prep. Thursday I will continue and complete prep and we open Friday! Whew! The nice thing is that after a normally busy opening weekend it slows right down for about 10 days so I can get my 'lake legs' under me. I am grateful for that. I have some plans for some fun dinner specials to keep me feeling creative with a regular Friday night special of a Shrimp Boil Dinner that I think will be great... 

  In non-restaurant news I have begun writing another book; a novel. Its an Urban Fantasy/Fairy Tale. I'm only 3 chapters in right now but excited at how its beginning to play out. I will be looking for a beta-reader or 2 so if you're interested let me know. If you're an editor type definitely let me know!  I'm hoping to plug away at it in my down-time as an escape but we shall see; I don't want to add one more 'Must Do' to my list... 
  My painting season is completed but come fall I have a few scenes of the Outer Banks I will be working on; if you're a NC fan stay tuned... 
  That's about all for this 'catch up' post; there's tons going on but nothing all that interesting unless you all want a crash-course on how to clean a restaurant's flat-top griddle :-)
 Until Next Time --
A  

No comments: