Lake Michigan Shoreline

Lake Michigan Shoreline
original art by Annie Russell

Thursday, July 16, 2020

Checking in MidSummer 2020



I read very quickly through my last post of Sept 2019 and laughed and laughed and laughed because-Wow! If I had known then and all that.... Hindsight, you ARE 2020.

So here's a very very fast update and then I will be back at this on the more regular-

March 2020 we were in New Orleans when all hell broke loose with a global pandemic. Of course, rumblings had been heard about it but our 'leadership' in the US chose to ignore and deflect which lead us to--
 Total lock-down in Michigan from mid March until about early May(ish)--seriously, its all a blur. I did keep a written journal of the early days though and will transcribe here at a later time.
  The beach opened with all new pandemic protocols- everyone must wear masks and gloves are now for more than just food-prep. Tables and people need to space at 6-10 feet apart and all employees must check in for work with questions about health, current temperature and whether or not they have traveled. Contactless Ordering and Curbside Pickup are now well known to us all.
 All festivals and gatherings have been canceled.
 Health Department issues weekly 'numbers' of infected, dead, and recovered.
 Masks have become a political issue (seriously...) as the POTUS has declared them not necessary and his kool-aid drinking followers agree. People have been shot, stabbed, and assaulted for asking others to wear masks (which is a state-wide mandate at this point but local police won't enforce so...). I have been banned from two grocery stores for asking that they comply,
 Business at the beach has never been busier and I lost 2 employees last week but gained one this week so I'm only half-way down shit's creek at this point.
 Tonight I get to go home after 2 weeks at Rosecliff taking care of guests as well as the restaurant and our STR in Charlevoix. I. Am. Exhausted.
 Yesterday we were within hours of signing a lease on a 12 month rental in New Orleans so we could go away and work somewhere else for the winter but then got word that the city has shut back down, there are no jobs and locals are hurting big time. This isn't the year though it breaks my heart not only for the health situation but the apartment was perfect and I doubt I'll find it again... So, Home we stay. If safety allows we'll visit...
My family has remained safe and employed though everyone is feeling the pressure and a few of us are beginning to crack a bit. Its def time to slow down as soon as we're able.
Oh- I'm almost done with novel #1 which is due to be released in November and working on novels 2 and 3.
That's all for now- stay safe, mask up, and be kind.
Annie


No comments: