Lake Michigan Shoreline

Lake Michigan Shoreline
original art by Annie Russell

Friday, April 26, 2019

Art n Soul -bridging the spiritual & physical act of creating art

Art n Soul 


 Though I try to some extent to keep my spiritual views and practices somewhat separate from my 'everyday' artwork so as to not scare people off who don't know me personally, this project completed this past winter is -to me- the perfect synergy between my personal beliefs and my artwork. 
  
  For me creating is spirituality and spirituality is creating. The Universe that we consciously inhabit is in a constant cycle of creation, destruction and recreation. Death, Birth and Rebirth. This is science. For consciously creative people - Artists - becoming apart of this cycle becomes its own form of religion. The awesomeness of  the Universal Expression - by whatever name is used - becomes both the conduit and the devotion of the creative act. My art is an Offering. My canvas, an Altar. 
Art N Soul Deck

  This had always been a private affair between myself and Spirit/Universe/God/Goddess. But several years ago I was given the idea to combine the feeling and thoughts of each piece of art with the image into a meditation device that would bridge my private prayer with the painted expression of it. This project would lay it all bare. Scary, huh? Yes! So - being a scared human- I sat on this project for a bit- I let it simmer on the back burner of my mind while I went about my everyday life. Every now and then I would pull it back out , mentally, and take a look at it. I would refine a thought or an idea and play around with it then get scared again and put it back to the far recesses of my mind. This continued for several years until the mental cauldron began to bubble and I knew it was time. 
  I spent several weeks going through my painted images and meditating on each trying to form cohesive words that would relate to my visceral feeling of each as I had painted and created it. 
  Then it was off to the printer where another period of time was spent getting an easy to relate to, non intimidating  lay out could be developed. I wanted this deck to be as far from the typical Divination or Tarot deck as possible. I wanted it to be accessible and emotionally available to anyone of any spiritual persuasion. 
 When the printer sent the proof I was thrilled beyond words- a tough things for me LOL! 
The colors were vibrant, the font large and easy to read ,and the messages Universal. Anyone could utilize these cards in most any form they chose- no previous 'Reading' or tarot style skills were needed. They weren't 'scary' occult objects and could offer gentle suggestions regarding Archetypal  life challenges. 
  These cards have been well-received by practiced Card Readers, and Not, alike- I am so grateful. 

 They are available in my Charlevoix store- Persephone's Folly or online at HERE 


 

No comments: